How to Pitch Via Magazine
Via covers travel tips and inspiration—including road trips to take, places to visit, things to do, what to eat and drink, and how to travel better—as well as practical life advice to help you care for your house and car, manage your money, and live well at home and away.
What We Cover
While we may highlight other areas of the West, our main coverage footprint extends across Northern California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Alaska, with most of our readers residing in Northern California and Arizona.
Our main categories are:
- Road Trips
- National Parks
- Places to Visit
- Things to Do
- Eat & Drink
- Travel Tips
- House & Home
- How to
- Smart Guides
- Your Money
Via publishes six online issues and one print edition per year with additional articles published weekly. You can explore our past issues and browse our full library of content.
What We’re Looking for
- Timely, seasonal, or evergreen pieces that will delight and inspire our readers
- Stories that fall under at least one of our main categories (above)
- A strong angle or point of view
- New stories that we haven’t already published! Before you pitch us, please read through our website or try a Google search using “site:mwg.aaa.com/via [topic/keywords]
- We rarely accept pitches that require a quick turnaround and we don’t cover breaking news. Most stories require six weeks to a month to go live, from pitch to publish
What We’re Not Looking for
- Cruises and international destinations (temporarily due to the pandemic)
- Reviews of any sort
- Reporting on various openings and closings (restaurants, hotels, etc.)
- Extreme sport activities—we prefer senior- and family-friendly
- Stories lacking solid research and fact checking
What to Include in Your Pitch
Please send us an email to [email protected] with the following:
- “Pitch” in the subject line, along with a proposed title for the piece
- A brief paragraph that describes what your story will cover and any sources you plan to reach out to
- A sentence about why you are the right person to write the piece
- A link to your portfolio or relevant examples of your published works
- If you’re pitching a story based on a press trip, please disclose it
- What expenses, if any, you may need covered
Please note: We need time to consider pitches as a team, and we regrettably are unable to respond to every one.
Thank you for pitching Via! Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] with any questions. For inquiries related to general information or other matters, please visit our Contact Via page.